Besides sprouting flowers and mild temperatures, spring also ushers in ticks that carry Lyme disease, and pet parents are being reminded about the importance of taking precautions to keep their dogs and cats safe from the potentially killer bacterial infection.
The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is urging pet parents to take actions now to prevent their companions from being bitten by the insects and infected by Lyme.
Those fragrant flowers, budding shrubs and lush green grass in the yard look bright and pretty, but they also have a dark, ugly side - they may be sickening, or even killing, your pet.
Springtime is an especially dangerous season for curious dogs and cats who unknowingly nose around in plants that are poisonous if ingested and the fertilizers used to help them grow, so pet parents must take precautions, animal welfare advocates warn.
|FREE LOOK INSIDE THE BOOK!|
Want a better life with your dog? MySetterSam.com's Living Well With Your Dog, a series of short stories for pet owners, is loaded with common-sense ideas to help make life more fun, enjoyable and healthy for you and your dog. Find great tips about subjects such as: creating a comfortable lifestyle for you and your dog; making your home and environment safe; improving your pet's health and nutrition; choosing a pet sitter and veterinarian; and saving money on dog food, pet products, prescription drugs and pet insurance.
Candy and flowers may be enjoyable for people, but they can be killers if ingested by dogs and cats, making Valentine's Day one of the more poisonous days of the year for pets, according to animal welfare advocates.
Pet parents are being advised to be vigilant when it comes to keeping sweets out of reach of their companions, because chocolate is so toxic that it can kill even in small amounts and flowers also can be poisonous and damage internal organs, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.